Here is a short list of Fomin Report Builder features you can use:
- The report builder uses a word processing-styled interface, with buttons
commonly found for formatting text (right align, left align, center align,
- The application developer can change the language from "English",
"Russian" or any other interface language. The FRB_NLS.INI file is provided for
translation of all the messages and prompts that the Report Builder uses to interact with
- Support for Inch as well as for Metric coordinate system.
- Ability to export report pages in WMF format to Microsoft Word for Print Preview, Edit,
Save as *.doc format file, Printing purposes, etc.
- Ability to customize the default properties of a new Frame.
- It is possible to set the percent values both for Horizontal and/or Vertical scaling of
a whole report page being generated. Default percent value = 100%, effective
increment/decrement step = 5%. X and Y percent values are stored in the user's WIN.INI
file for each installed printer separately. This unique Report Builder capability allows
end-users to adjust the actual size of report controls/whole report page on a hard
copy for an any specific printer, such as Laser, Matrix and so on.
- Tree-styled Report Manager screen will help you to arrange your reports by means of
classifying and grouping them by type and using several folders to store report files (as
many folders and report types as the application developer defines).
- You can create and manage an unlimited number of reports.
- Quickly create reports that are similar to an existing report by opening a file, then
saving the report to a new file name.
- You can use Windows95 styled long filenames when saving reports.
- Using a VIEW structure for simultaneous processing of several data tables. Usable for
both ISAM and SQL databases.
- Effective and high speed filters for records using any available fields from
applications database file(s), including expressions and functions of the Clarion
- Sort data using any available fields, including expressions and functions of the Clarion
- You can easily build complex expressions with help of the built in Data Dictionary. The
Dictionary contains all the field names, functions, operators, built-in variables and user
defined total variables/calculated fields which are allowed for use in an expression. The
Dictionary also shares a tree-style hierarchical structure.
- Supports end-user creation of total variables of type Sum, Counter, Average,
Minimum, Maximum, Evaluate. Total variables can be reset on the end
of appropriate sorting group as well as on the end of each page. These variables can be
set up to be evaluated at the start of report, at the each record, at the end of a sorted
group, at the end of page, at the end of report.
- Supports end-user creation of "Calculated fields". They are very similar to
"Total variables" but always use the Evaluate type and never being reset.
You can accomplish very complicated computations using any number of Total variables and
- "Calculated fields” can be set up to evaluate on the start of report as well. By
means of dialog window functions provided for by the application developer it is possible
to ask end-user for run-time entered values or browse selection. The value being
entered/selected will be accepted to the “Calculated field”. Such variables usually
are used in defining filter expressions.
- Using the report Dictionary you can select an individual element from array type data
fields (up to 4 dimensions).
- Print the current date and time on a page. The Picture can change the format of a date
or time field to any desired format. For example, you can change 02/21/00 to read “21
February, 2000” at report runtime.
- Print the current page number as well as the total number of pages on each page
- Print the number of database records printed on the current page (useful for page footer
- Frame contents may be formatted in accordance with a Picture. The Picture can help you
to change the format of text strings easily. For example, if the social security number is
stored in the database as only numbers (123456789) you can reformat it at runtime to print
- Wizard style dialog easily helps you build a Picture of any type (Numeric, Date, Time,
- The application developer can create computed fields indistinguishable from the fields
from the actual database table.
- Supporting report sections (bands): Page header, Report header, Sorting
band, Group header, Detail, Group footer, Report footer, and Page footer.
Each band can contain an unlimited number of Frames to represent information.
- Frame contents may be a text string(s), or a formula. This is similar
to Microsoft Excel usage: if the frame contents begins with the equal sign
"=" then it means the rest is the formula to evaluate. In that
way you can reference the only one variable as well as the expression containing
as many variables and functions as you want.
- Use borders around the Frames to make them standout. For example, you
can place a border around dollar totals at the bottom of reports. You can
also use all the Frames with borders and join Frames side-by-side to get
grid-style report. Frame borders may have varying thickness and color. Also
the whole frame can be filled by selected color.
- You may select a font typeface, size, style and color for the whole report
or report section as well as for individual frame. Use different fonts and
font types to make key data stand apart from other data.
- Frame contents are placed and aligned both vertically and horizontally.
- You can select multiple Frames at the same time for repositioning or alignment
- The application developer can make available for end-user use additional
functions to be used in report runtime evaluated expressions.
- Add graphics to a report that are stored on your computer. This is a GREAT
feature commonly used for office letterhead, computer-generated invoices,
- The "Trailing Text" feature is helpful for a MEMO field printing.
This option is selectable as a property of a report section (band). Text
will be printed line-by-line beneath the band with page overflow control.
This feature can handle a text of unlimited length.
- The "Mail Merge" feature can help you to combine raw text with
- Frame type "Barcode" available for printing vertical and horizontal
when appropriate extension template used in the RunTimeReport procedure (Taboga
Barcode Library required).
© Copyright 1997-2022, Oleg Fomin